The Section of Researchers’ key areas of responsibility include:
- expanding capacity for family medicine research through increased availability of research training and career support.
- identifying and building resources for family medicine research through effective lobbying and support for the expansion of funding opportunities.
- facilitating and enhancing collaboration and communication among researchers, including multidisciplinary research team approaches and the involvement of a broad range of primary care researchers and clinicians in family medicine research.
- strengthening the position of family medicine research in Canada through a unified voice for family medicine research, with emphasis on research as one of the primary mandates of the CFPC, and the uptake of family medicine research findings into clinical practice and health policy; and improving public visibility.
The Section of Researchers is made up of two categories of membership:
- physicians who are members of the College of Family Physicians of Canada (CFPC), who may be affiliated with a Canadian university department or division of family medicine, and be involved with, or interested in family medicine research.
- associate members, including allied health professionals or other non-physician individuals who work in collaboration with family physicians or academic departments of family medicine, or members of the public who are serving or have served as a Director of the National Board of the CFPC
The activities of the Section of Researchers are directed and integrated by the Section of Researchers’ Council, which has been elected from among the Section of Researchers’ membership. The Council is made up of the Chair of the Section of Researchers, the Past Chair, a Research Director, and a Community Physician representative. The Chair also represents the Section of Researchers on the Board of Directors of the CFPC. Staff members in the College’s Research Department provide support to the Council.
The Council meets twice a year to discuss current and upcoming issues, plan events, and work to advance the interests of its members. The Section of Researchers’ Council works closely with the Research Directors and Department Chairs in each of the 17 Academic Family Medicine Research Departments at universities across Canada, as well as other national and international organizations, to advocate for and support family medicine research in Canada.
The CFPC Section of Researchers welcomes the participation of all primary health care researchers, including CFPC members, as well as other health care professionals interested in the family medicine research.
Members of the Section of Researchers’ Executive Committee are:
Dr. Alan Katz
Dr. William Hogg
Dr. Andrew Cave
Dr. Martin Dawes
Dr. Marshall Godwin
Dr. Brian Hutchison
Dr. Fariha Khawaja – Resident Rep
Mr. Matthew Menear
Dr. Pierre Pluye
Dr. Vivian Ramsden
Dr. Jeff Sisler
Dr. Graham Swanson
Marie-Maude Morin - Medical Student Rep
Ms. Inese Grava-Gubins, Staff - Director of Research
Dr. Cheryl Levitt
Ms. Jamie Jensen, Staff - Administrative Assistant, Research Department
Ms. Anita Lambert-Lanning, Staff - Research Information Coordinator, NaReS
Ms. Stephanie Fredo, Staff - Research Communications Coordinator, Research Department