Fellowship in the College of Family Physicians of Canada (FCFP)
Nominations for CFPC Fellowship are now closed for 2016
Nominations for 2017 will be accepted beginning January 3, 2017 through the online nomination system. If you currently hold Fellowship in the College of Family Physicians (FCFP), you do not need to reapply.
If you have any questions about the Fellowship nomination process, please email your queries to [email protected].
Access the Fellowship Nomination System
The CFPC awards the Fellowship designation (FCFP) to those who have been awarded Certification in the College of Family Physicians (CCFP) and who distinguish themselves through outstanding contribution to their communities, their colleagues, and the discipline of family medicine. Fellowship is considered a value of membership and will be bestowed for life as long as the member remains in good standing with the College.
Criteria for Fellowship:
- Must be an active CFPC member in good standing and hold the CCFP designation for a minimum of 10 years prior to the Fellowship nomination
- Must demonstrate a commitment to at least four of the seven CanMEDS-FM roles (Manager, Collaborator, Communicator, Health Advocate, Scholar, Family Medicine Expert, Professional)
- Must demonstrate significant contributions to, or through, family medicine (eg, dedication to the broad range of competencies demonstrated by outstanding family physicians, and to upholding the Four Principles of Family Medicine, namely:
- Clinical expertise
- Serving as a community resource
- Serving as a resource to a defined group of patients
- Building and nurturing the relationships in practice
The Modified Approach to Fellowship
In 2015, the CFPC announced changes to the Fellowship application process as a result of the move from Mainpro® to Mainpro+®. As of January 2016, the Fellowship designation transitioned from a Mainpro credit-based criteria to an annual nomination system for achieving Fellowship, as outlined above. In order to accommodate those members who were working toward Fellowship under the Mainpro criteria, the College will offer a modified approach to Fellowship until application year 2021.
Eligibility for the Modified Approach to Fellowship:
- You must be an active CFPC member in good standing
- Before the application period closes in February 2021, you will have held the CCFP designation for a minimum of 10 years
- As of December 31, 2015, you must:
- Have been in your second consecutive five-year Mainpro cycle
- Have already completed 25 Mainpro-C credits in your second cycle
- Have completed 25 Mainpro-C credits in your prior five-year cycle
For members who are eligible for the modified approach, once you have held your CCFP designation for 10 years, you may apply to receive your Fellowship designation. Applications through the modified approach to Fellowship will not be reviewed by the Fellowship Council.
For questions or further information, please contact [email protected].