ALSO® - Advanced Life Support in Obstetrics
The College of Family Physicians of Canada (CFPC) believes that Canadian women and their families benefit from the standardized, collegial and multidisciplinary approach to maternity care that the ALSO® curriculum engenders.
What is it?
Offered in 47 countries, Advanced Life Support in Obstetrics (ALSO®) is a structured, evidence-based, multidisciplinary educational program that teaches the cognitive and procedural skills necessary to effectively manage obstetrical care emergencies.
Who is it for?
Developed by family physicians, ALSO curriculum is relevant to all members of the obstetrical care team, including family physicians, labour and delivery nurses, midwives, and other health care providers. The program also serves as an aid for training residents in obstetrics and family medicine.
ALSO is modeled on the very successful ACLS and ATLS programs, and is offered within an interactive learning environment, utilizing pelvic mannequins and other appropriate medical equipment. Objective testing and procedure performance evaluation are incorporated into the course.
ALSO focuses on vital obstetrical care topics, including:
- Medical complications of pregnancy and prenatal risk assessment
- First-trimester bleeding
- Bleeding in late pregnancy and preterm labour
- Electronic fetal monitoring
- Dystocia and malpresentations
- Forceps and vacuum extractions
- postpartum emergencies
- consultant relationships
- helping parents cope with a birth crisis
- reducing medical malpractice risk and more…
Participants enjoy an optimal learning experience due to the small class sizes and dedicated, highly-skilled instructors.
The overall objectives of the ALSO Provider Course are to:
- Improve the management of obstetrical care urgencies and emergencies
- Increase awareness of regional maternity care services/resources
- Identify barriers that may limit access to regional maternity care services/resources
What courses are available?
The CFPC offers two ALSO programs:
1. The ALSO Provider Course - This program is for physicians, midwives, labour and delivery nurses and other health care providers who wish to learn more about effectively managing obstetrical care emergencies.
Learn more about the ALSO Provider Course.
2. The ALSO® Instructor Course - This program is for those who have completed the ALSO Provider Course and wish to participate in teaching others about obstetrical care management.
Learn more about the ALSO Instructor Course.
There are various acceptable ways of dealing with different emergency situations. The recommended procedures covered in the ALSO Provider Course offer reasonable and evidence-based methods to manage the common obstetrical emergencies. All maternity care providers must ultimately exercise their own professional judgement in deciding on appropriate actions. Completion of the ALSO Provider Course does not imply competency to perform the procedures presented.
The College of Family Physicians of Canada (CFPC) and the American Academy of Family Physicians (AAFP) disclaim any and all liability for injury or other damages resulting to any individual attending the ALSO Provider Course, and for all claims which may arise out of the use of the techniques demonstrated therein by such individuals, whether these claims shall be asserted by a physician or any other person.
The ALSO Program is owned by the AAFP. The CFPC is the exclusive licensed distributor of the ALSO Provider Course in Canada.